Friday 9 November 2012

Rebrand Series: Detroit Red Wings

Seeing as the Red Wings are my favourite team one would think this would be one of the first concepts I would have posted for the rebrand series.  Here's the thing, I really struggled to come up with something that suited the Wings.  The Red Wings are one of a few teams who have changed the uniforms very little over the years and I didn't want to mess with the classic look that the Wings own so well.
First off, you'll notice I've used the logo I created for my very first Red Wings concept, simply because it's awesome (obviously bias opinion, but come on, how sweet does it look am I right?).
I decided to use their Winter classic jersey from a few years back as the basis and build on it.  As you can see I've added a new colour to the uniforms, a very subtle silver, to accent the lines and help them pop out just a little bit more.  I've also decided to use a darker red on the uniforms because, to me it looks crazy good!  Finally I've laced the jersey with a faded graphic of the wing in the space between the silver stripes which I believe adds an element of uniqueness to the jerseys but not in a distracting way, or a way that takes away from the classic look of this jersey.
You might also notice that I've put a C on both sets of jerseys although the Wings haven't named a new captain yet.  That being said, Zetterberg or Datsyuk are obvious choices for the job and either one of these guys would be a great captain, the C looks great on either of these jerseys.
I'd like to think this jersey could be considered a retro modern look...if that makes any sense.

New Red Wings Logo


New Detroit Red Wings Home Jerseys


New Detroit Red Wings Away Jerseys