Saturday 11 May 2013

Rebrand Series: New York Islanders

The Islanders are one of a handful of teams that have decided to go back to their retro colour scheme which I think is good AND bad. On the one hand yes, the royal blue and orange look good together but on the other the retro trend is taking away from a team's ability to break the mould, get away from the cookie cutter jersey designs and go with something boldly unique.  Here's where I step in.
Personally I think the navy blue and orange is a great look for the Islanders so I've adopted this scheme as the primary colour scheme in my rebranded design.
The jersey looks much different than anything the Islanders have ever seen.  I took the unique design for the sides of the jersey from the Islanders current 3rd jersey, which is a travesty in itself, but I made those stripes work on a normal looking jersey.  I've also some slanted stripes that run up half the sleeve with the inspiration coming from shoulder patch the Islanders wore on the jerseys they wore when the edge jerseys were first introduced.
The logo I've created is a sort of homage to various looks the Islanders have had in their history.  From their original logo (which the are using currently as their primary logo again) I've taken the NY text and combined it with the ISLANDERS text that you may remember from that memorable logo they used with the angry fisherman on it.  Finally I took the lighthouse from that same era, but subtly straightened it vertically and combined all these elements to make this uniquely New York logo.  I tried to find a way to incorporate long island into the logo but it just didn't fit, PLUS they will be moving to Brooklyn soon anyways so it still works pending that move ( sorry Long Islanders):

New Islanders Logo:


New New York Islanders Home Jersey:


New New York Islanders Away Jersey: