Friday 2 March 2012

Introducing the SASKATOON BARRAGE

Hey guys, so as I stated in my last post I've been working on something big for a contest I've entered, if I win they will produce my jersey and give it to me as a prize!!
The contest required me to create a new team for another Canadian city, in anticipation/hopes that the coyotes could be coming north of the border.

Here it is with a write up (a bit lengthy but very interesting) about why I did what I did;

Home Concept:


Away concept:



Saskatoon Barrage:

The inspiration behind this concept is Canada’s involvement in the Battle of Vimy Ridge in April of 1917.
The primary logo I’ve created shows a Canadian soldier standing onto of the Ridge with the Canadian flag over his head, obviously (as this is a hockey team) the flag pole is a hockey stick.

I also created a Vimy Ridge commemoration shoulder patch.  The main focus of this shoulder patch is the monument that stands in memory of this historic battle in Vimy.  Below the monument are 4 different coloured squares, although these squares seem random and a bit tacky, they are actually the colours of each of the 4 Canadian divisions that fought in the Battle of Vimy Ridge.  The monument is encircled by a beige circle with the Words “VIMY RIDGE 1917” written in gold, again paying tribute to Canada’s involvement in the battle.

The other solider patch is a version of the chevrons worn by a sergeant in the Canadian Army.

The name “BARRAGE” is also closely tied to this tribute to Vimy Ridge.  The rolling barrage was the tactic the Canadians used to defeat the Germans at Vimy Ridge.  In this tactic, the artillery would fire at the enemy while the foot soldiers advanced towards the enemy's position.  This tactic had never been used before.  The use of the rolling barrage is one of the main reasons the Canadian army was so successful in being victorious at Vimy Ridge.

I’ve also tried to make the jersey design itself, as unique as possible.  Instead of just making a simple design to compliment the logo I decided to make the jersey as unique as the logo.  That being said, I’ve tried to make the sides look similar to the chevron design, adding the maple leaf at the bottom to make it more Canadian.

The choice of Saskatoon itself was pretty simple.  When one thinks about the province of Saskatchewan they associate the colour green with it, and a team paying tribute to the Canadian military had to be green, so Saskatoon was a natural fit.  The battle of Vimy Ridge is a proud moment in history for all Canadians so the Barrage could have worked with many different cities, but Saskatoon just seemed right.