Saturday 30 March 2013

Rebrand Series: Ottawa Senators

A few years ago the Senators introduced a 3rd jersey with the wordmark SENS across the front.  To say the least, this jersey was very unique, personally I kind of liked them although I know a lot of people were appalled by them.  That being said when they came out with their Heritage jersey 2 years ago they made a step in the right direction.  Those heritage jerseys look awesome and so when I was making a new jersey set I decided to build on the success of the Heritage jersey and make an away counterpart to complete the set.
You may not even notice that I've done anything to the logo, but if you take a closer look you will notice that what I've done is, I've taken 2 of the Senators logos and combined then together seamlessly. Most obviously, I've taken the Roman Senator and kept him as the focal point.  I took the red maple leaf from an alternate logo that the Senators used as a shoulder patch on a 3rd jersey they wore from 2000-2007 that includes this maple leaf and the Parliament building in Ottawa.  The mission in making this logo was to keep the Senators unique Roman soldier element, but to also pay homage to the fact that they are located in the nation's capital so you've gotta represent somehow.

New Senators Logo:


New Ottawa Senators Home Jersey:


New Ottawa Senators Away Jersey: