Monday 8 July 2013

Rebrand Series: Vancouver Canucks

When I took on the challenge of Rebranding the Vancouver Canucks I had no idea what I was going to do, or where I was going to start.  Initially, I grabbed the black, red, and yellow logo the Canucks used to use back in the 90s and simply changed the colour scheme to the Canucks present colours.  I was satisfied, It looked sharp, it was simple and I felt people would love to see me bring back the retro logo.  But something wasn't sitting right for me, I felt as if I was taking the easy way out by not actually creating my own logo.  As a result I sat on this mystery for many months with no progress and then one day it just dawned on me; if I do this properly, I can incorporate the Canucks current whale logo into the beloved 90s logo, and so the task began.  I took a long time to perfect the blend but I'm very happy with the result.
The jersey design itself has a couple different elements going on too.  First, I took the striping on the bottom of the jersey from the throwback jersey the Canucks have worn on several occasions in the last couple of years.  Secondly, and most notably I've given the Canucks slanted lines on the sleeves and taken a chunk of the line out with the idea that the absence of line forms a V for Vancouver within the design.  Overall I think it turned out pretty sweet, I'm especially proud of the logo:

Canucks New Logo:


New Vancouver Canucks Home Jersey:


New Vancouver Canucks Away Jersey: