Saturday 2 February 2013

Rebrand Series: Edmonton Oilers

When I was designing a jersey and logo for the Oilers I originally decided to just take the "Spawn" logo that the Oilers used on their 3rds prior to the Reebok edge era and change the colours to reflect the Oilers current palette.  Everything was all good, logo fit and I designed the jersey to pay tribute to 3 different styles the Oilers have worn in their past.
The striping on the jersey is inspired by the striping from the jerseys the Oilers wore just prior to the Reebok edge era.  In addition to the stripes I've taken an element from the Reebok edge jerseys in which the arm stripes only go up half way, giving the jersey a little more of a modern look.  Finally, and quite simply I've used the Oilers retro colour scheme because, to be honest, the colour scheme they used before was pretty dull.
I was ready to post the jerseys a while ago, but for some reason I hesitated because I felt like i was copping out by not actually designing my own logo.  So, last week I was finally hit with an idea, which has finally materialized into a logo I'm proud to post.  In the foreground is an oil drill, the element I was struggling with for the longest time, but I finally found on that fits into the look of the design.  I then layered the Oilers current text mark over top of the drill, and put the Edmonton skyline in the background.  Finally, the shape of the border was loosely inspired by the Oilers AHL affiliate the Oklahoma City Barons.

New Oilers logo:


New Edmonton Oilers Home Jersey:


New Edmonton Oilers Away Jersey: