Saturday 9 March 2013

Rebrand Series: Penguins 3rds

The Penguins have had a couple of different 3rds in the past few years and one thing remains the same whenever the bring in a new one, bring back the blue.  Seeing the penguins in blue just seems weird to me, although I wasn't alive back when they actually wore blue, but something has always seemed off too me.
It may sound simple but having yellow in the Penguins logo on a blue jersey just seems tacky to me.  That's why when making a Penguins 3rd didn't necessarily think I needed to get rid of the blue jersey but instead change the logo to fit the jersey.
The jersey design is an old one that the Penguins used back in the 80s in blue and then switched to the black and yellow with the same design.  I brought it back with a few tweaks, most notably using different hues of blue both navy and sky.
The logo is the same as the one used in the Penguins rebranded home and away jerseys but I took out the yellow and used the 2 blues in a gradient pattern to make it a little less tacky.
I know it's a little out of the ordinary but what do you think?

New Pittsburgh Penguins 3rd Jersey: