Friday 1 March 2013

Rebrand Series: Pittsburgh Penguins

For those of you who have dug deep into the archives of my jersey designs since I started this blog, you may have remembered that I designed a "new" Penguins logo.  At first you may not notice anything different than the one they currently use, however at a second glance you should notice two things: 1. that the Penguin is facing the opposite way as the real logo, and 2. that the Penguin is winding up for a slap shot as apposed to having his stick on the ice.
Well, I've taking that logo and tweaked it even more to add a little Tweedle flare to my Penguins rebrand concept.  I think I will dub it the best of both era's logo.  As you can see I've kept "my penguin" although I've flipped him to the original direction of the real logo.  Additionally, I've taken the 90s Penguin logo and placed him in the background with some slight modifications to make him look more modern.  At first I thought that perhaps it may be too busy, having 2 Penguins as the focal point, but the more I look at it, the more I am beginning to love this logo.
That is only half the battle, the second half is the jersey itself which is also a blending of era's.  I've taken the basic design of the jerseys that the Penguins used just prior to the Reebok edge era and mixed it in with the Penguins infamous late 90s gradient jersey.  Obviously, I've updated the colour palette and what has been created is what you see before you.

So....what do you think?

New Penguins Logo:


New Pittsburgh Penguins Home Jersey:


New Pittsburgh Penguins Away Jersey: