Thursday 14 February 2013

Rebrand Series: Minnesota Wild

This concept is Wild, straight up! this logo is one of the first I created when I decided to rebrand the entire NHL.  I've been sitting on it for a while now, uncertain of how I should go about making a jersey fit for the logo.
I completely understand that both the logo and the concept are out in left field, but with a nickname like the WILD, why not attempt to give some real meaning behind the name with a logo and jersey set that match the name.
The logo is meant to strike fear into opponents, with 2 glaring eyes staring at you through the scratch marks, and the WILD text just so you don't forget who you're afraid of.
With a logo that is so primal, I had to design a jersey set that matched the logo's intensity.  Overall I wanted the jersey to look like it had just been attacked by the very beast I was trying to portray with the logo.  That being said, I didn't want it to look tacky and random, which I why I struggled with the jerseys for so long.  In the end, I tried to capture the essence of a classic hockey jersey but on the edge of crossing that line.  Finally, you will notice that the Wild away jersey is beige not white.  Simply put the Wild own that beige look, and the white just doesn't look right.

New Wild Logo:


New Minnesota Wild Home Jerseys:


New Minnesota Wild Away Jerseys: